Monday, February 17, 2014

10 days in Nicaragua

I am home after 10 incredible days in Puerto Cabezas Nicaragua.  First, my apologies to all my family and friends for saying I would post everyday and then did not get one posting done.  The long days took it's toll on me-physically, mentally and spiritually.  I come home beat-up, bruised and bone tired on the outside.  But I am overflowing on the inside.  I have been witness to live changing moments for children with cleft lips and palates and with severe burns who will now not be disfigured physically.  And now will have a chance to regain their strong spirits.




If you have been reading the blog you know how much we were able to accomplish. 50 OR cases, 100 minor (or no so minor) cases and many clinic visits.  That only is possible when everyone sets aside their own desires for the benefit of the team and our mission.  For 10 days in February that is exactly what happened.




I am so pleased to have gained the professional respect of nurses I so admire and use as role models. Dean Athey, Tarma Boettcher, Suzie Smith and Keveta Anderson all I have work with on other trips made me feel I one with them.  I so appreciate Keveta allowing to step up and take responsibilities in the OR that I been have wanted to do.  The generousity of our surgeons especially Dr. Kurt Berry made my job even easier.




Renew friendships with past team members and making new ones is always a joy.  Seeing Nicaragua friends and their witnessing their perseverance is inspiring. Those Nicaraguan nurses caring for patients in conditions and lack of supplies that would make most of us turn and walk the other way. It make me see my work here at home with new eyes.



And of course, watching Karl whose every action comes from kindness, concern for others and cooperation.  He is my hero!  I don't know how I got so lucky to be part of his life.  It is my biggest blessing.


One of my favorite memories-if I am pressed to pick only one is of a beautiful girl from one of the small villages, I think her name is Ana.  Her right arm had been badly burned in a fire and terribly scarred.  Dr. Berry did a beautiful repair. Every morning and night she was waiting at the hospital before and after her surgery to give me a hug and flash that wonderful smile.  She lifted me up.  I hope only good things for her and hope her life is blessed.


This mission trip like the four others before has filled and enriched my life more than I could possibly put into words.  I will continue to hope and pray that I will be able to return again for as long as I can heave myself up into the back of that pick-up!!


PEACE
Sue










No comments:

Post a Comment